ive looked for a post but didnt see one dedicated to today

so heres one

for all the lads,girls,animals that played their part for the country

and died whilst doing so

and for all the ones that survived & came home

and were never the same again

for ALL of them

im grateful

you endured things that us pampered lot could never even imagine in our worst nightmares

so i say thank you to each & everyone of you

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes indeed. Today i met my sister for coffee at 10 ish. We went to a Wetherspoons close to us. I was rather shocked at 11, no respect. We both stood up, i was rather annoyed about one woman who never stopped talking about her Christmas shopping. I gave her a look and another but still she continued totally unaware of anything except her own voice. 
Glad you made this thread, to get this off my chest, and bless them all who fell for us . Never forgotten 

FM
Originally Posted by Skylark24:

Yes indeed. Today i met my sister for coffee at 10 ish. We went to a Wetherspoons close to us. I was rather shocked at 11, no respect. We both stood up, i was rather annoyed about one woman who never stopped talking about her Christmas shopping. I gave her a look and another but still she continued totally unaware of anything except her own voice. 
Glad you made this thread, to get this off my chest, and bless them all who fell for us . Never forgotten 

yep

people are so settled with their nice homes & lifestyles etc...

they tend to forget why they can have them

pirate1111

FM

I always do my best to observe the silence, but it astounds me the many that don't even have the respect to respect those that do, and continue chattering around them. 

At work this or ing, the phones had been quiet most of,the morning and I had commented that guaranteed at 11 the phones would start. At exactly 11 every line rang, I left the office, my opinion let them ring back. 

Cinds
Originally Posted by Cinds:

I always do my best to observe the silence, but it astounds me the many that don't even have the respect to respect those that do, and continue chattering around them. 

At work this or ing, the phones had been quiet most of,the morning and I had commented that guaranteed at 11 the phones would start. At exactly 11 every line rang, I left the office, my opinion let them ring back. 

i had a stall down bullring yrs back

11-11-11 happened

me & my 2 staff stood still

the people we were serving were 'new' to the country

1 of them asked me why we stood still & didnt speak

i explained about the date

she asked if it only happened in the bullring

i refused to serve her

pirate1111
Originally Posted by pirate1111:
Originally Posted by Sprout:

Amazing isn't it Pirate 

well i had to learn the ways of UK

it dont take much

its all about appreciating the country you decide to live in

ie

if i had the money to look after my family i'd move to spain

but NOT before i learned spanish

otherwise id be a burden-expecting the spanish to understand english!

FM
Originally Posted by Cinds:

That infuriates the hell out of me.  It's the day when the UK and its allies pay their respects to those who gave everything.

Cosmopolitan

I second that Skylark. So brave and such an incredible sacrifice  

FM
Originally Posted by velvet donkey:

WW1 and WW2 guys and girls rocked. Can barely get your head around it when you think about it. Old boy was in the RAF.

Dunno if it's being slightly hijacked though to encompass modern stupidity...and maybe I shouldn't be saying that but it's how I think  

Not a problem with your opinion....they're like aholes....we all have them However I'm intrigued to know why you think things are being hijacked, and yes, you're right....this day is for all the fallen  

FM
Originally Posted by velvet donkey:

WW1 and WW2 guys and girls rocked. Can barely get your head around it when you think about it. Old boy was in the RAF.

Dunno if it's being slightly hijacked though to encompass modern stupidity...and maybe I shouldn't be saying that but it's how I think  

I know exactly what you mean  Velvet.

I can hardly get my head around it either. We owe them so much. Never have so many, owed so much, to so few, as Churchill said. 

FM
Originally Posted by cologne 1:

I used to meet on this date with one of the old guys from the first 1000 bomber raid on Cologne and we'd remember the Germans who died as well as everybody else.  

Yep. Some would argue that they were only carrying out orders but there was huge loss of life on both sides 

My mum used to tell me stories about keeping the wee ones quiet in the shelter. It's awful for all sides.

cologne 1

I used to meet on this date with one of the old guys from the first 1000 bomber raid on Cologne and we'd remember the Germans who died as well as everybody else.  

Yep. Some would argue that they were only carrying out orders but there was huge loss of life on both sides 

My mum used to tell me stories about keeping the wee ones quiet in the shelter. It's awful for all sides.

Thats a terrible thing to have lived through Col, your poor Mum

Have you ever seen War Horse? Its on this Sunday and gives a poignant view from the German side of the trenches in WW1 [ different war, sorry]. Very moving film.

FM
Originally Posted by Roger the Alien:

Have you ever seen War Horse? Its on this Sunday and gives a poignant view from the German side of the trenches in WW1 [ different war, sorry]. Very moving film.

I haven't yet but I thought I might take a look.

cologne 1
Originally Posted by Roger the Alien:

I haven't yet but I thought I might take a look.

Its very very good Col  but   

FM
Originally Posted by pirate1111:

it was an awful time for the world

but im still not sure why Germans started

both wars

maybe i'll buy a book and read up about it

It was a lot more complicated than that Pirate. You should read up about it. How can you feel so passionately about it when you don't know the history.

FM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.