Skip to main content

Veteran Indian actor Om Puri, star of British hit East is East, has died aged 66.

The actor suffered a heart attack at his residence in Mumbai early on Friday, reports say.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iran's ex-President Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, a dominant figure in the country's politics since the 1980s, has died at the age of 82, media say.

Mr Rafsanjani had suffered a heart attack, the reports said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Singer-songwriter Peter Sarstedt, best known for the song Where do you go to my Lovely?, has died at the age of 75, his family has said.

He died peacefully after a six-year battle with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, a family statement said.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The former MP Tam Dalyell has died at the age of 84 after a short illness.

He sat in the House of Commons from 1962 to 2005, representing West Lothian and Linlithgow for Labour.

Mr Dalyell became known for his formulation of the "West Lothian Question" about the role of Scottish MPs after the establishment of the Scottish parliament.

Extremely Fluffy Fluffy Thing
Extremely Fluffy Fluffy Thing posted:

The former MP Tam Dalyell has died at the age of 84 after a short illness.

He sat in the House of Commons from 1962 to 2005, representing West Lothian and Linlithgow for Labour.

Mr Dalyell became known for his formulation of the "West Lothian Question" about the role of Scottish MPs after the establishment of the Scottish parliament.

He was often controversial, and could be a bit of a bruiser, but it wasn't always appreciated that he really knew his stuff.

One of my very minor claims to fame is that some years ago I took my Aunt to an event at the Edinburgh Book Festival and we found ourselves sitting directly behind Tam. The author being interviewed had written a book about MI6, and he was talking in particular about alleged plotting by the spooks against the Labour government of the 70s. Dalyell sat there alongside his secretary quietly taking notes, and at the end asked a series of very detailed questions and *ahem* put the author right on a few points.

Most fascinating talk we'd ever been to!

Eugene's Lair
Last edited by Eugene's Lair

Sara Coward, who played Caroline Sterling in Radio 4's The Archers for almost 40 years, has died aged 69.

The actress had been receiving palliative care after being diagnosed with terminal cancer last year.

@Enthusiastic Contrafibularities

As a devoted Archers fan I'm very saddened by the news  ....she seems to have been a lovely lady , and very,  very brave  . RIP Sara 

Baz
Last edited by Baz

Tributes have been paid to "kind and gentle" Emmerdale actor Tony Haygarth, who has died at the age of 72.

The Liverpool-born star played Mick Naylor in the soap and also had parts in The Bill and movie Chicken Run.

He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2014 and died on Friday with his wife, Carol, and two daughters, Becky and Katie, at his side.

Extremely Fluffy Fluffy Thing

Tributes have been paid to "kind and gentle" Emmerdale actor Tony Haygarth, who has died at the age of 72.

The Liverpool-born star played Mick Naylor in the soap and also had parts in The Bill and movie Chicken Run.

He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2014 and died on Friday with his wife, Carol, and two daughters, Becky and Katie, at his side.

Awww I used to like him in Where the Heart is  RIP 

Baz

Yes, Martin McGuinness played his part in the NI peace process - but he was a cold blooded murderer -  by his own hand, and through ordering killings. He never faced justice. For Jeremy Corbyn to praise him up as a "family man" when the IRA's trademark killing method was shooting people on their own doorstep in front of their families, made me feel ill. [I always remember he was made NI Minister for Education, thinking to myself... well, he's created enough orphans].

I can't mourn him. Personally I always thought he was a psychopath. 

Roger the Alien
Roger the Alien posted:

Yes, Martin McGuinness played his part in the NI peace process - but he was a cold blooded murderer -  by his own hand, and through ordering killings. He never faced justice. For Jeremy Corbyn to praise him up as a "family man" when the IRA's trademark killing method was shooting people on their own doorstep in front of their families, made me feel ill. [I always remember he was made NI Minister for Education, thinking to myself... well, he's created enough orphans].

Totally agree Rosie 

Baz
Roger the Alien posted:

Well said, Rosie. Oops, I called you Rosie. Sorry Rog.

Yogi19
Last edited by Yogi19

The actor Powers Boothe has died, he was 68,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39920487
The article mentions his roles in series such as Philip Marlowe, Deadwood, 24 and his last role in Agents of Shield as well as in films such as Sin City and Avengers Assemble.

I remember hilm from one of John Boorman's films The Emerald Forest where he played the father searching for his son who had been abducted from a tribe in a rain forest in Brazil.

El Loro

We all know Ian Brady has died, aged 79 - and good riddance too

A little story

A few years ago I was tracing my mum's family tree.

The guy doing it revealed he used to be a prison officer and worked alongside Ian Brady. I asked what was he like and was told,

"He was a nobody, nothing - he thought he was important but he was a nobody"

Good

Saint
El Loro posted:

The article mentions his roles in series such as Philip Marlowe, Deadwood, 24 and his last role in Agents of Shield as well as in films such as Sin City and Avengers Assemble.

I remember hilm from one of John Boorman's films The Emerald Forest where he played the father searching for his son who had been abducted from a tribe in a rain forest in Brazil.

Just realised who Powers Boothe was. He gave a terrifying performance  in Deadwood.... one of those where you watch through your fingers. A very talented actor, may he rest in peace.

Roger the Alien
El Loro posted:

Ah yes: "The Emerald Forest". An underrated movie, IMO.

Powers Booth was definitely a very distinctive actor.

Eugene's Lair

Blue Peter presenter John Noakes dies'

Former Blue Peter presenter John Noakes, who hosted show in 1960s and 70s, has died aged 83, his agent confirms

A true original - a gent, an entertainer - utterly lovable

A hero of mine along with Richard Briars, Jonny Ball and the legendary Brian Cant

A sad day

Saint

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.