Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by slimfern:

Does it do more harm than good ??

 

I know it is a hot topic for some.....Woe betide me!

But as someone that has no religion...and as an 'Outsider' ....I just see it as a means to hurt folk! 

ooh,

what a topic to start!

i dont believe in sharing opinions on religion on public forums

i think it invites hurtful comments

however i just want to say

catholics rule

yeah 

we is the bestest

yeah

all other religions are made up

whooooooooooooo

 give us a C. give us an A, give us T.give us LOL

 you get the idea

 

best of luck with this one slim

pirate1111

Oh Pirate I   was raised as Catholic,I  then grew up and thought for myself.I have no religion now.I  remember saying to my neighbours son when we were kids,we played together all the tme (he was protestant)"Oh you won't get to heaven because you're not Catholic!" oh the indoctrination was rife at primary school level,mind this was over 45 years ago.

kattymieoww

I'm with katty. I was brought up by my catholic parents and nuns. Nuns in Kindergarten, Nuns in Primary School, Nuns in Convent. At the age of 15, I had that much education that religion didn't make any sense anymore. I am slightly jealous of ppl who believe because I imagine it's very comforting. I had to sort out my funeral with my daughter and had a small blipp about having it in a church (catholic guilt), but I'm sticking to my plans to have a humanist funeral and try to be as environmentally friendly as I can while I'm about it.

cologne 1

I think it's impossible to say if it does more harm than good. Wars and terror campaigns are fought in the names of religion - that's the harm side of it.

 

The good side is that hundreds of thousands of people carry out good work in the name of their God - they also feel peace of mind, happiness and contentment.

 

Basically the laws of the land are based on the ten commandments. I was bought up with religious beliefs (not staunch) but said my prayers etc. I don't really believe now but there's still a bit of something there.

 

On balance I personally think it does more good than harm but a lot of it goes unspoken/unremarked.

Soozy Woo

Stalwart atheist here and mother of an 18 year old who makes Dawkins sound like a woolly minded liberal. He'll calm down in time. 

 

I think organised religions allow people to take from them what their existing personality seeks. Inherently "good/nice" people find it a source of comfort and it can enable them to do much to benefit others. Sadly people who like power and control can use their church for less beneficial ends. 

 

What upsets me is the extent to which indoctrination seeps into the pores - even when you've decided you've moved on from that upbringing, and impacts you and others in life changing ways. Yes, I do have experience here and no, it's not me - I was raised as an Anglican. The only indoctrination I have is a penchant for tea and sandwiches.  

 

Cariad
Originally Posted by Dame_Ann_Average:
Originally Posted by erinp:

People with no religion are  usually are the ones who slate religion.I have religion in my life and I make no apology for it.I certainly dont practice as a means to" hurt folk".

 

 

I'm an atheist Erin, but for the life of me I would not condemn or mock someone else's beliefs 

Belittling another's faith isn't my style either Dame....each to their own ...in any way.

My thought comes from the story of the poor young girl shot by the Taliban because she was up front & wanting to better herself & her piers!
Shame on those who did this...Shame on them & their so called religion that allowed them to do it with a conscience!  

slimfern
Originally Posted by slimfern:

Does it do more harm than good ??

 

I know it is a hot topic for some.....Woe betide me!

But as someone that has no religion...and as an 'Outsider' ....I just see it as a means to hurt folk! 

Funny Slim, we had this same convo at work today.. Someone said that religion started more wars than anything else, I said that men start wars! They just hide behind religion because they are cowards and people are stupid enough to buy it

 

 

Ensign Muf
Originally Posted by Ensign Muf:
Originally Posted by slimfern:

Does it do more harm than good ??

 

I know it is a hot topic for some.....Woe betide me!

But as someone that has no religion...and as an 'Outsider' ....I just see it as a means to hurt folk! 

Funny Slim, we had this same convo at work today.. Someone said that religion started more wars than anything else, I said that men start wars! They just hide behind religion because they are cowards and people are stupid enough to buy it

 

 

It does seem to be men mostly Muf....
Would it be any different if women were in charge though....many under the Thatcher Government would argue not....maybe!  

slimfern
Originally Posted by slimfern:
 
 

Belittling another's faith isn't my style either Dame....each to their own ...in any way.

My thought comes from the story of the poor young girl shot by the Taliban because she was up front & wanting to better herself & her piers!
Shame on those who did this...Shame on them & their so called religion that allowed them to do it with a conscience!  

 

 

some religions become fanatical Slim and more so the middle east...sometimes you wonder if its just an excuse for war. That young girl will not be safe wherever she is, the only thing they can do for the whole family is new identities and relocate them, probably to a new country  

Dame_Ann_Average
Originally Posted by Dame_Ann_Average:
Originally Posted by slimfern:
 
 

Belittling another's faith isn't my style either Dame....each to their own ...in any way.

My thought comes from the story of the poor young girl shot by the Taliban because she was up front & wanting to better herself & her piers!
Shame on those who did this...Shame on them & their so called religion that allowed them to do it with a conscience!  

 

 

some religions become fanatical Slim and more so the middle east...sometimes you wonder if its just an excuse for war. That young girl will not be safe wherever she is, the only thing they can do for the whole family is new identities and relocate them, probably to a new country  

Hopefully she will recover with medicine given to her by the best doctors (which happen to be from all over the world in this here country)...and that she/her family get to live a productive life thereon (wherever it may be).

 

I've never had religion...although my Mother could (before her dementia)could list every verse & psalm in the bible....my Father on the other hand is a true Humanist. A very gentle man!

I guess I have more faith in my fellow man than I do in something I can't see! ?

slimfern
Originally Posted by cologne 1:

I'm with katty. I was brought up by my catholic parents and nuns. Nuns in Kindergarten, Nuns in Primary School, Nuns in Convent. At the age of 15, I had that much education that religion didn't make any sense anymore. I am slightly jealous of ppl who believe because I imagine it's very comforting. I had to sort out my funeral with my daughter and had a small blipp about having it in a church (catholic guilt), but I'm sticking to my plans to have a humanist funeral and try to be as environmentally friendly as I can while I'm about it.

I attended the Humanist funeral of my elderly neighbour last Thursday,she was 85,the mother of my "hell bound"protestant friend.It was very moving,.two poems were used instead of hymns(which no one sings anyway)and her life was celebrated.

kattymieoww
Originally Posted by slimfern:
Originally Posted by Ensign Muf:
Originally Posted by slimfern:

Does it do more harm than good ??

 

I know it is a hot topic for some.....Woe betide me!

But as someone that has no religion...and as an 'Outsider' ....I just see it as a means to hurt folk! 

Funny Slim, we had this same convo at work today.. Someone said that religion started more wars than anything else, I said that men start wars! They just hide behind religion because they are cowards and people are stupid enough to buy it

 

 

It does seem to be men mostly Muf....
Would it be any different if women were in charge though....many under the Thatcher Government would argue not....maybe!  

Sadly women aren't in charge Slim and I don't think Thatcher was either..Apparently she flarched her way to the top but I think the role of PM is merely a token job,  a bit like president of the uSA(no real power)  

Ensign Muf
Originally Posted by slimfern:
Originally Posted by Dame_Ann_Average:
 

Hopefully she will recover with medicine given to her by the best doctors (which happen to be from all over the world in this here country)...and that she/her family get to live a productive life thereon (wherever it may be).

 

I've never had religion...although my Mother could (before her dementia)could list every verse & psalm in the bible....my Father on the other hand is a true Humanist. A very gentle man!

I guess I have more faith in my fellow man than I do in something I can't see! ?

Dame_Ann_Average

As someone who lives in an area where you could get beat to death for walking into the wrong street because of your religion, I say YES it does more harm than good.  It is used as an excuse, yes, but without it there would be a lot less trouble.

 

I am Catholic but I disagree with the Catholic church on a LOT of it's views and am disgusted by how they abuse their power, however I do believe in God.  Not a God that only looks after one religion.  Just a God that is there regardless of religion, skin colour, background......anything.

 

Then I think of all the child murders and atrocities in the world, on a daily basis and the horrors that go on in countries that we hear very little about.  I've seen a mother question what kind of God would take her baby to heaven and leave a broken hearted family to wonder why and I question everything again   

 

I just don't know what to think a lot of the time.  I think I *want* to believe in the God I mentioned but then I doubt whether such a God would allow these things to happen.

 

 

Ells
Originally Posted by kattymieoww:
 

I attended the Humanist funeral of my elderly neighbour last Thursday,she was 85,the mother of my "hell bound"protestant friend.It was very moving,.two poems were used instead of hymns(which no one sings anyway)and her life was celebrated.

always sing hymns a weddings, christenings and funerals I simply love a good hymn.

Soozy Woo
Originally Posted by kattymieoww:
Originally Posted by cologne 1:

I'm with katty. I was brought up by my catholic parents and nuns. Nuns in Kindergarten, Nuns in Primary School, Nuns in Convent. At the age of 15, I had that much education that religion didn't make any sense anymore. I am slightly jealous of ppl who believe because I imagine it's very comforting. I had to sort out my funeral with my daughter and had a small blipp about having it in a church (catholic guilt), but I'm sticking to my plans to have a humanist funeral and try to be as environmentally friendly as I can while I'm about it.

I attended the Humanist funeral of my elderly neighbour last Thursday,she was 85,the mother of my "hell bound"protestant friend.It was very moving,.two poems were used instead of hymns(which no one sings anyway)and her life was celebrated.

Sounds like a very nice way to go out Kaffy......

slimfern
Originally Posted by Ensign Muf:
Originally Posted by slimfern:
Originally Posted by Ensign Muf:
Originally Posted by slimfern:

Does it do more harm than good ??

 

I know it is a hot topic for some.....Woe betide me!

But as someone that has no religion...and as an 'Outsider' ....I just see it as a means to hurt folk! 

Funny Slim, we had this same convo at work today.. Someone said that religion started more wars than anything else, I said that men start wars! They just hide behind religion because they are cowards and people are stupid enough to buy it

 

 

It does seem to be men mostly Muf....
Would it be any different if women were in charge though....many under the Thatcher Government would argue not....maybe!  

Sadly women aren't in charge Slim and I don't think Thatcher was either..Apparently she flarched her way to the top but I think the role of PM is merely a token job,  a bit like president of the uSA(no real power)  

A Northern term methinks......

 

She still gets the blame though.......Oh hang on!......sounds a bit familiar does that  

 

slimfern

Oh and I have no problem with other peoples religion but there is one person on my facebook who is an athiest and constantly posts 'funny' pics slating catholics which I do find offensive even though I don't support the catholic church.  Some are funny, I have to agree, but it's the attitude of her being superior and because she doesn't believe in it then it's automatically rubbish and something to be sneered at.

 

I just think religion is 'each to their own' and not a subject for slagging off.

Ells
Originally Posted by Ells:

Oh and I have no problem with other peoples religion but there is one person on my facebook who is an athiest and constantly posts 'funny' pics slating catholics which I do find offensive even though I don't support the catholic church.  Some are funny, I have to agree, but it's the attitude of her being superior and because she doesn't believe in it then it's automatically rubbish and something to be sneered at.

 

I just think religion is 'each to their own' and not a subject for slagging off.

Just what I said up there Ells

Religion doesn't cause trouble, men do!

They  just hide behind religion.

Ensign Muf
Originally Posted by Ells:

Oh and I have no problem with other peoples religion but there is one person on my facebook who is an athiest and constantly posts 'funny' pics slating catholics which I do find offensive even though I don't support the catholic church.  Some are funny, I have to agree, but it's the attitude of her being superior and because she doesn't believe in it then it's automatically rubbish and something to be sneered at.

 

I just think religion is 'each to their own' and not a subject for slagging off.

Have you spoken of your feelings about her comments?...cos I would (in pm)

And if she were still offensive...I would limit her posts to my wall 

That is your 'personal' space....

slimfern